Frequently Asked Questions

The office is open when the university is open, even during semester breaks, with the exception of holidays. The SURS office follows current TCU COVID safety protocol. The office is currently providing educational meetings via zoom or in-person for alcohol and drug violations, and both in-person or zoom sessions for students self-referring through the Counseling and Mental Health Center.

The office has been reconfigured to provide “therapy suites” for students. These therapy suites will have Zoom and phone access to conduct remote education meetings as needed, and they are large enough to allow for social distancing in the event that an in-person assessment or session is needed. All therapy suites are cleaned and disinfected after each session. Students, faculty, staff, and guests are expected to follow TCU guidelines on wearing masks and social distancing.

No, TCU provides all students a version of Zoom that’s compatible with the HIPPA secured version of Zoom used by the SURS staff. In addition, conducting remote services by phone is also an option. If students have a private and confidential space outside of the office, then they do not have to come into the office for their remote session.

Educational meetings required to fulfill the requirements of an alcohol or drug violation may be conducted when a student is out of state remotely. *This is not a counseling appointment.*

Yes, unless a student is experiencing a mental health crisis that includes possible danger to self or others, all counseling sessions, and educational sessions must be scheduled in advance.

For alcohol or drug violationsStudents should use the online platform, IMPACT. If you do not have an account on IMPACT (if you have not been into the office since 12/31/2020 you will not have an account) click here to set up an account.

If you already have an IMPACT account click here for returning users.
(click TCU LOGIN to enter TCU credentials)

For an appointment not related to a violation: call the Counseling Center at 817-257-7863 and request a substance use and recovery appointment.

If you are having trouble or have any questions, contact the Substance Use & Recovery Services office at 817-257-7100.

If you are worried about the well-being of a fellow TCU student, please submit a Report of Student Concern with the Dean of Students Office in Campus Life. These reports can be submitted at

It can be hard to support a friend or loved one who is struggling.  Contact us for support along the way.

Don’t make excuses for your friend’s behavior.  Protecting a friend from experiencing the natural outcomes of their drinking behavior may enable them to continue using.

While COVID-19 precautions remain in place, we offer students the opportunity to complete their Alcohol Education Workshop in a virtual, asynchronous format.  Your education provider will give you access to this workshop after your first meeting is completed.

The Substance Use & Recovery Services office continues to provide staff presence and support for remote, open meetings for TCU students, varying in age, major, and phase of recovery, to share their experience, strength, and hope.

This group hosts alcohol-free events throughout the fall and spring semesters. Meetings are offered at 6pm on Thursdays in a HYBRID format. Either in Person, or via  Zoom ID: 814-700-806. Email for the meeting password.  Students may also choose to seek individual support by meeting with either of our Licensed Professional Counselors.

Signs and Symptoms – if the person:

  • Cannot be awakened, is unconscious or only semi-conscious
  • Has cold, clammy, pale or bluish skin
  • Has irregular breathing, or is breathing less than 8 times per minute
  • Vomits while “sleeping” or passed out, or doesn’t wake up after vomiting

GET HELP! Do not wait! Turn the person on their side to help prevent choking.


  • Your Hall Director or RA, or any administrative staff
  • If on campus call TCU Police 817-257-7777 (or 7777 from any on campus phone)
  • If you are off campus, call 911

TCU’s main concern is for the well-being, health, and safety of its students.  In short, the Medical Amnesty/Good Samaritan Policy outlines that:

  • An individual who calls for emergency assistance on behalf of person experiencing an alcohol or other drug related emergency will not face formal disciplinary action by the University for the possession or use of Alcohol and other drugs. They, as the Good Samaritan, and their friend, as the person in medical need, are both covered by the policy.

To review all of TCU’s policies regarding alcohol and drugs, as well as information about procedures and sanctions please consult the TCU Student Handbook:

Please speak with your Hall Director regarding violations received in the residence hall, or the Campus Life/Dean of Students office regarding violations received by TCU Police. Click here to learn about sanctions for alcohol or drug violations. If you are found in violation of the alcohol policy for the first time, you are required to complete the following:

  1. Pay $75 fine
  2. Complete an online alcohol education course
  3. Attend individual meeting with a SURS provider or Conduct Manager

Students have three weeks from the time they are found in violation of the alcohol or drug policy to complete all required sanctions. If a student does not complete the required sanctions within that three week period, a hold will be placed on the student’s account and will remain on the registration account until all of the sanctions of the violation are complete. This hold will prevent a student from adding or registering for classes, or from getting a TCU transcript. It is in the student’s best interest to complete any requirements in as timely a manner as possible.

To inquire about a hold, please contact the Campus Life Office at 817-257-7925.

For incidents taking place in the residence hall, students have 72 hours from the time he/she receives notification of an alcohol violation from his/her Hall Director to complete the online request for an appeal hearing. To request an appeal, log on to, click Main Menu, choose “Housing and Residence Life” and then “Request PCD Meeting.” You will then be contacted by the Office of Housing and Residence Life by email to schedule and confirm the date and time of your appeal. Should your violation be dismissed, the appeal board or Hall Director will notify the Substance Use & Recovery Services office.

For documented violations made by TCUPD or otherwise off campus, a request for an appeal must be made in writing to the Campus Life/Dean of Student’s Office within 3 business days of the date of the initial notice letter. Students must include the grounds on which they are appealing the decision as outlined in the Code of Student Conduct, Section 5.4.

Please call our office at 817-257-7100 during business hours to reschedule. It is important for you to complete any requirements for an alcohol or drug violation in a timely manner. Or you may email

If any of the following are true for you, we encourage you to talk to someone:

  • Feeling guilty about drinking
  • Unsuccessful attempts to cut back/quit drinking
  • Lying or hiding drinking habits
  • High tolerance/need to drink or use more to achieve desired effect
  • Family history of Substance Use Disorder (i.e. addiction, alcoholism – even in remission now)
  • Persistent drinking or using, despite negative consequences

Due to perceptions and cultural norms, many college students struggle to decide whether to get help for their substance use. The idea that “you can’t have a problem until after graduation” is simply not true. The Substance Use & Recovery Services office exists to help students find solutions and treatment for substance use and related issues in order to achieve a healthy and thriving college experience.

If you are worried about a friend’s substance use, try first to speak with them directly about your concerns:

  • First of all, choose a time when he or she is sober.
  • Be factual and specific about your concerns.  Give examples of how his or her behavior concerns you. State what you have observed, rather than opinion.
  • Do what you can to encourage your friend to make an appointment with the Substance Use & Recovery Services office and use the resources available to her/him.  However, remember the only person you can change is yourself.
  • Contact us if you would like more information or want to discuss your concerns with one of our staff.