Substance Use & Recovery Services (SURS) is here to support TCU students in recovery through counseling, peer support meetings, and resources both on and off-campus. Texas Christian University is an institutional member of the Association of Recovery in Higher Education (ARHE), representing our Collegiate Recovery Community.
- Schedule an appointment with the TCU Substance Use & Recovery Services office for an individual assessment or relapse prevention meeting.
- Individual counseling sessions are available at the Counseling and Mental Health Center.
- The Collegiate Recovery Community hosts a weekly open meeting for TCU students, varying in age, major, and phase of recovery, to share their experience, strength, and hope. This community also hosts alcohol-free events, including football and baseball tailgates, monthly brunches, and other events throughout the fall and spring semesters.
- Learn about other TCU peer support communities
Arise Recovery Centers on Campus
When a TCU student may need more than individual counseling and/or peer support for a Substance Use Disorder and co-occurring issues, they may be referred to a higher level of care. TCU has partnered with a third party to provide Intensive Outpatient (IOP) and Supportive Outpatient (SOP) services to currently enrolled students right here on our campus. Arise Recovery Centers – On Campus (ARCON) provides free “mini-assessments” for students and families who are interested in this service.
Currently, the TCU ARCON program conducts group therapy on Mondays and Tuesdays from 5-8pm and Fridays from 12-3pm in Jarvis Hall, and includes one additional individual therapy session per week. The Dean of Students office can help work with students as a liaison to faculty and staff for conflicts related to academic or athletic schedules. This program addresses substance use as well as managing stress, improving communication and self-care, and other mental health matters.
Off-Campus Resources and Support
- Find an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting in your city
- Find a Narcotics Anonymous meeting in your city
- Find an Al-anon meeting (for the loved ones of those struggling with substance issues)
- Young People in Recovery (YPR)
- YPR- Dallas/Fort Worth
- Hear inspiring stories of individuals in recovery
Seeking treatment for a substance use disorder?
- Make an appointment with a TCU Substance Use and Recovery Counselor.
- Check out the SAMHSA (the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) national treatment locator for both inpatient and outpatient treatment centers.
- To find substance use treatment services in Texas, please call toll free 1-877-966-3784 for immediate and confidential help, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This number is a service of the Texas Department of State Health Services.
Make A Gift
Interested in donating to the TCU Collegiate Recovery Program?
If you prefer to send a check, you can send it to attn: Penny Bishop, TCU Box 297044, Fort Worth, TX 76129. You will make the check out to TCU, and then on the memo line write “Collegiate Recovery Community” or you may attach a note with that designation to ensure it is placed in the correct account.